After December’s mad reading streak, January has been far slower. For most of the month I’ve been too plagued by fatigue to read or review or keep up with social media other than discord much, mostly spent it crocheting and watching my latest diversion (but more on that below). But, I finally feel better. Maybe I’ll even finally manage to finish the 2021 yearly wrap-up posts!
- His Quiet Agent by Ada Maria Soto: One of the very rare romance books that are as perfect of a fit for my preferences as it gets, aka very soft with major hurt/comfort vibes. Basically “how to charm your fellow weirdo.”
- Od Magic by Patricia McKillip: Beautifully written, meandering classic fantasy.
- All the Horses of Iceland by Sarah Tolmie (ARC): A somewhat folklore-like novella telling the legend of how horses came to Iceland. Interesting, but has a very distand writing style.
- Hither, Page by Cat Sebastian (reread): Got the ARC for the second book, realised I remember absolutely nothing of the first, plus the fatigue was too much to finish a new book at one point, so I went off to reread. As good as the first time.
- The first out of five parts of Les Misérables by Victor Hugo: This book is one of my reading challenges for this year, the plan is to do it in five stages with breaks for other books in between. Given that each of them is about 300 pages, it deserves an entry.
Well, probably my favourite discovery this month was a livestream of a watering hole in the Namib desert. Not kidding. It’s extremely relaxing and surprisingly addicting, especially since you never know what animals will show up to drink next and how will they interact. There’s even regular visitors you slowly learn to recognise.
Animals seen so far: lots and LOTS of oryx, jackals, ostriches, springbok, two species of zebra, two feral mares, a solitary gnu (sometimes with a friend), bat eared foxes, cape foxes, porcupines, hyenas, hares, humans (lol), various smaller birds, giraffes, warthogs, genet.
- The Will to Battle by Ada Palmer
- Phoenix Extravagant by Yoon Ha Lee
- Squire by Sara Alfageeh and Nadia Shammas
Books read in 2022: 3 (+ 1 reread)
r/Fantasy Bingo Challenge progress: 25/25 (100%)